The health of the teeth, gums and periodontal tissues has great impact on one’s general health as compromise in these areas can weaken the immune system. The following guidelines are intended to help address issues regarding dental conditions, and to provide general dental recommendations for patients on the Gerson Therapy.
It is highly recommended that any dental work be done by a biological dentist who uses materials and procedures that are safe and systemically compatible. For further information, please visit the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT) at www.iaomt.org.
Abscesses should be eliminated promptly, and the foci cleared of infection.
There is considerable literature regarding the toxicity of silver/mercury amalgam fillings. While research tends to support the validity of removing these fillings, we do not recommend removal of amalgam fillings in the early stages of Gerson treatment; all methods we are aware of for mercury removal can result in ingestion of some portion of mercury, increasing toxicity. Once the patient is stronger and showing improvement, the silver amalgam filling may be removed, but not before 6-9 months on the therapy. This procedure should be performed by a biological dentist. A list of mercury-free dentists can be found at www.IAOMT.org.
The work of Weston Price, D.D.S., as reported by George Meinig, D.D.S., appears to offer strong evidence of immune suppression caused by the presence of root canalled teeth. This work is empirically supported by the work of Joseph Issels, who states that as many as 90% of his cancer patients have root canals when they present for treatment. Issels states that he has not experienced a single recovery from cancer in patients who preserve root canal treated teeth.
Many patients do not believe in the effects/risk and damage of root canals. Or, they do not want to pull out the root canal for cosmetic reasons. In order to convince the patient how important is to pull out the root canal, the physician in charge needs to know and believe how the bacteria in teeth act much like cancer cells that metastasize to other parts of the body. These bacteria in the mouth similarly metastasize and as they migrate throughout ones system, they infect the heart, kidneys, joints, nervous system, brain and eyes.
These infections may be responsible for a high percentage of a degenerative disease that has become an epidemic in our country today.
Our recommendations for root canal removal:
- If the patient is in good condition, immediate extraction of the root canal is recommended. Schedule removal of mercury fillings; no more than one mercury filling should be removed every one to two months. Patients should see a biological dentist for this procedure. Prescribe 5 g of vitamin C orally, five days before they start and during treatment.
- If the patient is not in good condition, mercury fillings should not be removed for at least nine months, at which point the patient’s Gerson-trained physician will determine if they can begin to be safely removed. This decision will be based upon the strength of the patient, the extent of the patient’s diagnosis and the doctor’s judgment. Root canals should be removed at the first signs of improvement. Prescribe 5 g of vitamin C orally, five days before they start and during treatment.
- Patients in poor condition should wait until the general condition improves. No dental work is recommended.
Do not use fluoridated toothpastes. Baking soda toothpastes are also prohibited for Gerson patients due to the sodium content (sodium consumption and exposure is strictly limited on the Gerson Therapy. We have observed one patient who experienced a recurrence apparently related to the use of baking soda toothpaste. The removal of baking soda, with no other modifications, resulted in regression of tumors and continued improvement.
Recommended toothpaste brands include Vita-Myr and Weleda’s children’s toothpaste.
Daily Dental Hygiene Recommendations for Gerson patients
Proper hygiene of the teeth is very important. Below are our recommendations for daily cleaning.
- Brush with a Bass (POH) toothbrush. It can also be used for massaging the tooth-gum margin. Weleda’s children toothpaste is safe as well as the brand Vita-Myr. You only need to use a very small amount of toothpaste.
- Flossing after each meal is recommended.
- Irrigate daily. It is recommended to use a solution of H2O2 and distilled water. Lugol’s solution can also be used at 1-2 tsp per irrigation tank in distilled water. This will dislodge hard to reach debris in pockets and will kill harmful microorganisms.
- To minimize the chances for the formation of cavities, it is advisable to rinse and/or brush your teeth after every juice.
Related Pages and Links:
- Mercury Madness: Why Your Fillings Could Be Hurting Your Health (& What To Do About It!).
- Find a non-toxic dentist: International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology